Friday, July 16, 2010

Today I received a email from my brother regarding last nights game and the state of our Twins team. Following that is my reply to him:

The reason the Sox have won, what 27 out of the last 31, is that Ozzie got on their collective cases. When someone needed a kick in the ass he gave it to them. When asked about his teams' play he's spoken honestly. Gardy needs to start managing, kicking ass and sitting players whose heads aren't in the game. If he can't do that he needs to go. I know, he's had a good run, but this team needs a firm hand. The talents here he needs to let them have it. Balks to score runs. Swinging at bad first pitches in the 9th inning. Not hustling, not playing with courage and balls. This isn't the team we've come to love. I don't think Gardy has it right now. I think managers make big differences and our manager isn't doing the job. This better be turned around by the time I get home or I'll be making scenes at T-Field.

While I too was disappointed in the game last night I never felt like we quit or had no balls. I would never choose to have a manager like Ozzie a homophobic quick tempered guy who rips his own players and bosses. I think it is only a matter of time before the Sox begins their usual infighting that hampers their game and Ozzie begins to call them names in the paper. I prefer the low key Gardy who keeps team business in the clubhouse. He has sent down players Harris, Alexi, Perkins gotten rid of whiners like Garza. Do you think we should send Joe down he is under .300? His style may not be loud and nasty like Ozzie but he has done just fine for our Twins.


I don't think he has much control over a guy holding onto the ball and creating a balk and what would you have said had Cuddyer hit that ball out of the park and how do you know Gardy didn't yell at him. I am guessing the whole team had a good earful last night. Maybe if our guys had crazy outbursts throwing helmets and fighting with each other it would make you believe they are trying harder but personally I prefer them not panicking and staying together as a team. Baseball is a crazy game that if full of moments that can change the game. Swinging at bad pitches to me is a sign of trying too hard. Hitting a ball to the warning track with bases loaded does not show lack of effort. Not sure how we make our pitchers better pitchers maybe send slowey down and bring up Slama and move Duensing to the starting rotation. Hopefully Morneau will feel better soon and Joe will get back to form. I shall stay a fan and keep cheering hoping we turn it around.


I know the argument these guys are making a ton of money they should play better well the guys throwing and hitting against them are making a ton of money too and are awesome players too and well sometime your home team doesn't get the bounces. Save your outrage and anger for crappy governors that cut education budgets and CEOs of companies that take shortcuts and cause huge environmental catastrophes...baseball is a game.


GO TWINS!

1 comment:

  1. Well I'm glad I got you going. I've missed Ozzie's homophoia. Share that with me. Yes some of our pitching staff should have it suggested that they might need a room in upstate New York. I agree with Reusse's column about our pitching staff. Where is Slama, he's been kicking it all season. I don't want a team of helmet throwers or Gardy going nuts in every post game interview, not my style. But I want to see action. Why is Cuddy batty up in the lineup and Del-the-man batting 7th and 8th? That's the kind of thing Gardy can do better. Where are the youngsters? Valencia,everything he's been asked to do he's done. Put him out there. And yea, maybe Mauer needs to be challenged. Not just his hitting but also his handling of the pitching staff. It's obvious that there are disconnects with his communication with the staff. I'd use Palvano as an example. Watching him pitch in June he seemed to have a manner that's not seen in our other pitchers and position players.
    It does matter what the manager says and does though. I think when Ozzie called players out this year publicly it had an effect. We can be critical and still be good fans. I love my Twins and know that they have what's needed (maybe just a little more pitching)to win. But I still have the image of Freddy Patik crying in the dugout after the Yankees kicked the asses of a similar Royals team in the late 70's. When George Brett took a leadership position with that team and stopped allowing players to play with fear, the team was better. When Gary Gaetti stood up and said his game was shit and took responsibilty the team started to mold into champions. When T.K. didn't put up with self-centered players like Ortiz and said it publicly it changed the dynamics on the team. And of course the greatest example of all, When Kirby said, "jump on!" and let everyone in baseball know who the best was, we became champions.
    Love the Twins and love you.
    And don't even get me started on our idiotic and mean Gov. I'm almost looking forward to the 2012 campaign to start. He will be ripped apart as the complete ass he is.
    peace and happiness from London.

    ReplyDelete