Saturday, June 11, 2011

Baseball and family...

My brother Greg gave me tickets to the game Friday night against the Rangers. Not just any tickets but 3rd base line 8 rows up tickets. This section not only is super close to the field but also has its own bar and food service! You can't help but feel like a big shot sitting in these seats. So needless to say I was super excited to go to the game. The weather was chilly and rain seemed likely but I was not worried, I would sit in a downpour and watch my Twins.
As I was getting my outfit together, Yes I was coordinating my gear, I got a call from my sister. My nephew Calvin was being taken to children's hospital to have a CT scan. He has a shunt and has not been feeling well so it was precautionary. Having been through this before I know it is a scary proposition and my sister needed her husband with her. I volunteered to go take over watching her other kids so her hubby could join her.
I love my sisters kids and feel really lucky that I get to spend so much time with them. At the time I was suppose to be heading downtown I was sitting in my sisters front yard with my niece Frankie and Nephew Jack as well as 4 of the neighborhood kids climbing on me. The buzz of activity and laughter helped me from fretting about what was happening with Calvin. As I made dinner we turned on the game and I showed Jack where my seats were "Those are nice seats!" he declared. It had begun to rain at the game and he wondered if I would still be there in that downpour, Of course I would but I am glad I'm here with you. "yeah family is more important then baseball." I agreed.
Calvin was diagnosed with Diabetes and it was fortunate he was at the hospital at the time. This diagnosis is frightening for us having watched our Mother suffer from the affects of the same disease. But we have learned so much this weekend and once again I am lifted up by the unity of my family, the strength of my sisterand her husband Patrick and the courage of Calvin. I explained to Jack what was happening and loved that he volunteered to make Cal salads to help with his diet.
The Twins got trounced and I didn't care I was happy to know Calvin was under good care and be tucked on the couch between Jack and Frankie. The weekend was long and filled with lots of information and slow progression of Calvin recovering. This morning my sister called and put Cal on the phone, my worries flew out the window as I listened to him chatter on sounding like his old self. While the next few weeks will be full of challenges we all go forward with positive mindsets happy to know Cal is OK. The Twins won sat and Sunday and they will be alright too. My family grew a little more this weekend and will be fine too!
LOVE YOU CALVIN!

and yea GO TWINS!

No comments:

Post a Comment