Friday, January 29, 2010

More on Thome

I kinda feel bad after reading what Rod Carew said about Jim Thome:

"In 1992, I had the pleasure of meeting Jim Thome when he was a young player," Carew said "In 1964, I had the pleasure of meeting Tony Oliva, who became my roommate for about 10 years. What Jim has exhibited over his career is the same thing that Tony exhibited over his career. You can't find two nicer people who are always smiling. The Twins are getting a guy that's a very special person on and off the field. So Jimmy, welcome to Minnesota and I know that you are going to help this ballclub."

I have to fess up I have always put Thome in the "bad guy" role. The big brute, meanie, homerun slugger who would steal the game from us. After Carew said that Cuddyer talked about what a good guy he is too. So sorry Jim that I always made faces at you and yelled mean things.

He came to town for the awards dinner the Twins just had. Think its cool he took the time to come meet all of his new teammates. Seems like they are excited to have him as a teammate. Though didnt see any quotes from Del. I am guessing he is wondering how many at bats he'll lose to to Thome. Well, Del not many if you hit like you were at the end of 09. And if Kubel plays like he did in 09 he will keep DHing and Thome can be our late game pinch hitter. That may work really good for him(he's no spring chicken ya know).

2 comments:

  1. As an objective reporter....you should probably lay off Del a bit. You never know, 2010 might be his year. Then you'll have egg on your face again after calling Jim all those nasty names! Scooter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I said he wouldn't miss any at bats if he played like he was at the end of 09! I am going to do my best to stay positive with Del. And if he does start slow I try to be patient but I will tell it like it is...besides I never claimed to be an objective reporter I am a HOMER for sure!
    kit

    ReplyDelete