Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Baseball memories...

One of my earliest memories around baseball was at a Royals game! I remember I was standing next to my sister leaning over the rail watching the players warm up. We always went to the game early enough to watch batting practice and try to talk to players. Frank White the Second basemen was running in and my sister and I were waving and yelling to him so he tossed a ball to us. Some guy near us reached out and grabbed it. My sister and I were crest fallen, but Frank saw it and ran toward us yelling at the guy. "that ball isnt for you!" He made that guy give us the ball! I can still see his face yelling up at that guy and the smile he gave us when we got the ball. What a great guy!

I was thinking how just a moment like that from a sports star can make such an impression on little kids. While I dont think we should look at sport stars as role models or expect them to be any better then any one else I understand the profound effect they can have on a young person. Thing we forget is that anyone can have that effect if they just take the time. Though I have great memories of meeting baseball and basketball players my favorite sports memories revolve around my family. Sharing that time together. I doubt any of my siblings can hear a baseball game on the radio with out thinking of my Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment