Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My family and baseball...

I come from a family of nine kids, enough to field a baseball team! Ok we never had a family baseball team but I do recall some great wiffle ball home run derbys when I was little. When I was growing up we always took a trip to Kansas City in the summer. This was highly anticipated by us kids because not only did we go to Worlds of Fun amusement park and Stevenson Apple farm but best of all we would go to a Royals game!
The KC Royals have one of the most beautiful outdoor stadiums with waterfalls in center field! We always went early and watched the batting practice. I got to watch Bo Jackson hit home run after home run in warm ups. That mans thighs were HUGE, like a tree trunk! He was a nervous shy rookie he could barely manage a smile and wave for the crowd cheering madly for him. If he hadn't gotten hurt playing football I think he would have continued to improve as a baseball player.
The Royals were my team because partly because my Dad loved them but also because they were so fun to watch! George Brett, Hal McRae, Amos Otis, Frank White, Jamie Quirk, and Willie Wilson are some of the players I remember. I recall Amos Otis making a throw from center field to get a guy heading home. Cant remember who they were playing or any of those details just remember the excitement of the moment!
Thinking about all those fun game sin the outdoors makes me even more excited for the new season. Not sure how many games I'll actually be able to attend but hoping a few! Also hoping the weather cooperates for home games!

No comments:

Post a Comment